Friday, November 6, 2009

Up to the task

Ok, so I took the plunge today. I discovered blog-world about 2 years ago and have been fascinated ever since. I always thought I would never have enough (that is interesting) to say to make blogging an option but, decided to give it a shot anyway. For a few years I did really well at keeping a journal, not that anyone else would care, but for my own personal thoughts. Now that our family is venturing in to a new and exciting chapter, I figured now is as good a time as ever to get started!

After 3 years of prayer, indecision, apprehension, and lots of emotion, our family has decided to adopt. Sibling boys. From Ethiopia. Some of you will drop jaws, some will think we are crazy, some will think this is awesome and be happy for us. I would pray for more of you to be in the latter category, but realize there will be many unanswered questions. Even if I could answer them all for you, which I probably couldn't, as we don't have them all ourselves, you will still think we are nuts. The purpose of this blog is to try to help you understand why, after being blessed with 3 beautiful, healthy biological kids we would want to adopt.

This wasn't something I came up with on my own. It wasn't because it's the "trend" in Hollywood- I am so not into anything Hollywood (except for the awesome new movie The Blind Side - you must see it!) I gave up the 'People' and 'Us' magazines and all talk shows (yes- even Oprah) a few years ago, as I found them mostly gossipy, malicious and seriously, is there any one individual or relationship in Hollywood I would want to model after? It wasn't because any of my friends are adopting, or that I really wanted to have more children. It is simply a command from the Lord, and in all of our fears, we are being obedient to Him. James 1:27 says: Religion that God our Father finds pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. We do understand that God does not call every family to adopt, but as his children he does call us to action whether it be in prayer, sponsoring a child, fostering a child, giving financially to an orphange, or going on mission trips.

Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." I am certain that somewhere along the line, I had heard this passage or even memorized it at some point, however it never spoke to me like it did 3 years ago. I finally understood that it meant God will put the desires on my heart that he wants me to have, not that he will give me what I desire. Does this mean God won't give us what we ask for? No, on the contrary, God does give us much of what we ask for; good health, our daily bread, shelter, friends, etc., but He knows what is best for us and what he has planned for us. It is not our job to determine that, but His. So, this desire to adopt came from the Lord. And although the first two years came with much denial in which I tried to bargain with God (doesn't work), the last year has been one of great peace where I have learned patience in waiting like never before. I will explain more on this in a later post.

So, we have mailed our the applications out (to our local and international adoption agencies) and will begin official paperwork this week. We are excited, scared, nervous and completely uncertain of what is to come, except that the Lord will provide- financially, emotionally, physically, spiritually and any other way we need him to. Please check back here from time to time for a timeline and updates. And when you think of our family, please pray for God's provision throughout our journey.

1 comment: